Thursday, August 7, 2014

Homer & Homer Spit

 Welcome to Homer & Homer Spit!   Perhaps my favorite site in Alaska so far...

 
Along the Spit, you can sit and meditate alongside driftwood, Kachemak Bay and the mountains.   

Or you can saunter or cycle on the trail that runs the length of the Spit or...


 Or you can simply amble along the Spit and visit the marina, dozens of shops, fishing charters, ice cream parlors and restaurants.   



But of all the options available, my favorite - no contest - was...




Hanging out with a group of local fishermen and gabbing with them as they went after the silver salmon.   This inlet was teeming with the fish; they were literally jumping out of the water, as if to mock the fishermen.

The temperature was in the mid-60's, the sun was warm and the locals were very friendly, so I sat, gabbed and watched for over an hour.   It was very peaceful and serene.   I didn't want to leave.   I thought - gee! - if I could stay here for a week, my doctor would have to treat me for hyPOtension rather than hyPERtension.

During that time only 2 fishermen were successful in landing any fish.   My new buddy to the right caught 2 fish...and he was the envy of the rest of the group. Way to go, Daniel!

Overall, Homer gave me another Perfect Day.   I've always enjoyed Homer.   And yet I'm leaving because....WHY????








No comments:

Post a Comment