Thursday, September 18, 2014

Final Post, Final Thoughts

I've decided to end my blog here in Dawson Creek where the journey into the true, remote wilderness began.  I was definitely very sad that my trip had come to an end and that I was returning to Houston.  But, as I said in my post leaving Homer, I just felt that the cost of barely-adequate hotel rooms was no longer justifiable.  I've learned: when taking a long trip in the future, I'll definitely do it in an RV.   Live and learn, eh?  

In closing, I feel that the highlight of the trip - without question - was when I summoned the courage to take the dangerous and very remote Dempster Highway: 


1000 miles to Inuvik and then back, with no cell coverage, no "911" emergency available, no food, water or supply stores and just one gas station midway in Eagle Plains.  

That road is NOT one that I'd recommend for the majority of tourists.   

And yet the scenery was breath-taking, and the road took me across the Arctic Circle!




 
Homer, of course, was terrific as it was 2 years ago.   I'll assuredly return to Homer for a much longer visit.    


Turnagain Arm outside of Anchorage and along the Seward Hwy has always taken my breath away (left).






And remote, isolated Eagle, Alaska  was a new experience for me.

















I hope you've enjoyed my blog!   Joe
September, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment